Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Drawing From The Well


Today has been one of those days I go down so deep while creating that it's hard to come back up. I've been wanting to try a quick silk paper experiment - using spray starch, so I did that and I was having so many ideas of what to do next, all clambering over each other wanting to be on top to be the one chosen. What I chose to make is something I am not showing a photo of for now because it's a gift and I want to wait until after it's given. The gift feels very alive. I greatly enjoyed how one thing led to the next without me having a preconceived vision, and that something that feels significant emerged. I had the sense today that I am going to make alot of art - that I will sell it and that my work and my love really are one.
I tacked on a few more pieces to the emerging quilt, having to search further afield into my basket of velvets for a dark suitable colour. I hope to find dark red and green to add, as well. I'm noticing as I add each sequential value how greatly it affects my perceptions of the other existing values. What seemed dark before no longer seems so, and the lightest part is magnified. A good example of how important context is. I often think about that when I meet a stranger. Who knows what they may be going through at this point in their life and how it might affect their perception of the world around them?

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Yvonne, It's fascinating to see the quilt emerging, just by scrolling down to the original first photo. I enjoy your insights!

Yvonne said...

Thanks, Ruth!