Friday, May 22, 2009

Stamping Stories




Last night I participated in a stamp making workshop along with my art quilt group, instead of doing our regular monthly meeting. I've cut stamps before, so this was really an opportunity to make a few more. I was hoping to learn something about layering stamps - designing with them - but I can do that at home and have time for the paint to dry in between stampings - and also have access to my other supplies such as foil. I work better alone, although the real value of working in a group is the learning from what others do - plus the energy and social aspect, of course. I was surprised that stamps cut shallowly still showed up so well. For the top photo with the deco-style flower, I used pencil on tracing paper to transfer the design which I copied from part of a stained glass pattern. The stamp is made from craft foam, cutting the outside edges with an exacto knife and using a pencil to indent the inside lines. I didn't attach it to a block of wood and I think it still printed very well. The next double flower was done the same way but using thicker 'speedy cut' and a lino cutter for the inside lines. It's attached to a wood block, but when I stamped it onto cardstock, some of the petal edges didn't print well. I had another stamp I made by indenting with a pencil that was made from a styrofoam tray, but once painted, it really didn't transfer well. The green stamp on the turquoise fabric is made from a thinner foam with a sticky back you peel off. I drew the design directly onto the material and then cut it out and indented it, and then stuck it onto a rectangle of another layer of thin foam and put them both onto a wood block. The shape is very simple, but complexity and interest can be added by varying the direction of the stamping, altering paint colours and spacing. While I use various techniques such as stamping, foiling or oil stick rubbings on my quilts as the need arises, I would like to make a piece of wholecloth with various techniques that pleases me.

1 comment:

Pam de Groot said...

I looove printing. It is very close to my heart. These are just beautiful. I imagine you could work cloth in a similar way with collographs. Rubbing the colours in deep for the intaglio and then doing a colour roll over the top to hit he high spots. You may need a press to achieve this. I plan to get a press one day. Sigh.