Sunday, October 9, 2011

New to Nuno

Today I tried nuno felting again. Two hours into working to get the fibres to unify with the habotai, I decided to cover the back with wool roving and see if that worked better - a little bit like sandwiching - and it has come together nicely, although after doing some reading, I moved on to using more nuno friendly fabrics. Here is a close up and I do love the texture, which will be a pleasure to stitch.


I decided a tiny experiment was in order - so as to reduce the amount of rolling!



But when the cheesecloth worked well and was far quicker, I had to try silk organza - which really worked well.



As with any new medium and technique, there is a learning curve and I'm glad I kept working at it to see some results. I also am enjoying how I can use old fabrics from experiments that didn't turn out well and they look great with some wool added. I have thought of an exciting idea to try next... And here is a very interesting video with food - or rather fibre - for thought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJmXmTFpMg&feature=email


3 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

These experiments in wool are spectacular ...the stitching will only add to the mystery about to unfold..spectacular!!!! Have a great weekend! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Yvette said...

Yvonne, I like your felting very much. It will be magic to embroider.

love
yvette

Yvonne said...

Mary Helen and Yvette - thank you!