Monday, March 21, 2011

Disappearing Stitches

I had an idea to dye some itajime moons first with grey and than to stitch mokume style onto them and dye each a seperate colour of the rainbow. The first one with Colorhue dye worked out pretty well, although the colours aren't to my liking. I repeated the process, this time using yellow Procion and when I removed the stitching, no pattern was evident. I'm not sure why - maybe the necessary longer batching time for Procion allowed the colour to seep into the crevices beneath the stitching? Maybe Procion and stitched shibori do not work well together. You can see the differences in the photo below between the plain moon, the pink mokume one, yellow Procion and the last one I used shaving cream and dye to pattern drifting clouds over.
When I was using the shaving foam, I noticed an interesting pattern of the dyes I was using on a lid and put this moon in it. I like the orange glow at the edges of these clouds.

I also experimented with creating woodgrain and a grid pattern with the lower right silk.

This one I swirled to look like a wood knot.


deanna7trees said...

you answered the question i asked on your class post here. the woodgrain pieces are outstanding.

Yvonne said...


Joanne in Canada said...

I am very impressed with these results, Yvonne. Could you please describe in detail how you achieved the wood grain. Were you still working with shaving cream and colorhue dyes?

Yvonne said...

Hi Joanne - it is easy to get nice designs, I found. I put a layer of shaving foam in a styrofoam meat tray. I put several drops of black, scarlet and magenta Colorhue on a lid and ran a 3 inch rubber comb through the dyes so that different colours went on different parts of the comb teeth. Then I made patterns on the foam with the comb - redipping as needed, doing several prints. The woodgrain was the last print I did and I swirled the comb in a circle in the center of the tray. It was all pretty impromptu, though - I may not have dipped the comb in the dye for the woodgrain because the foam would have been mixed with the dyes and have colour after all the previous play.

Joanne in Canada said...

Thanks, Yvonne, for such a detailed outline of what you did. I would like to try it.