A few days ago I decided to combine weaving fabrics with holes and machine stitch to see what that is like. The back ground ribbed fabric is a kind of thick cotton and the rest is silk dupioni and cotton velvet. I used triple, free motion, and satin stitches and the overall result is thick and soft but I don't particularly like it - especially not the area around the focal point where the free motion stitch hardens the fabric. And when I went to clean my cutting board, I remembered a technique my CWB classmate, Helen, taught us and gathered up all the thread and fabric lint bits and sewed them together into a thread bead. Fast, fun and waste free!