Saturday, January 21, 2012

Gifts From the Snow

Here are a few of the threads, doilies and trims that the melted snow washed up on my shore: I prepared three different snow dye baths with the same items in each. The results are unpredictable - the same fabric in one bath absorbed alot of colour, while in another bath it came out virtually undyed and some fabrics are just one overall colour while others in the same bath are many. I have far too many samples to post but a few of my favourites will give you an idea of the range from one of the baths. This silk velvet is my favourite:

I prepared this fabric itajime shibori style, and interestingly, this one was meant to be snow moons but became moon butterflies:


And here are some fantasy mountains on linen - you may have to enlarge the photo to see what I mean:


I have other fabrics that are largely pink and some that are turquoise, avocado and reddish brown. The snow outside is all gone - but I do have a small bucket left in my freezer :) I also have partially sewn the ancient vesica piscis symbol onto Palace of the Soul, now.


To me, the snow dyed fabric it is on has the feel of an unfolding universe - a place of continuous birthing and emerging of the Divine Feminine. It is threshold, passage and chalice and maiden, mother and crone.

8 comments:

deanna7trees said...

interesting results. the 'fantasy mountains' is my favorite.

jude said...

glorious dyeing... and i love your overlapped rings.

Yvonne said...

Deanna - I think that one has an old weathered feel and a story waiting to be stitched.

Jude - I'm pleased with them, too - and with all your rings, you are the ring leader!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

These are fantastic results...I have to get into some snow dyeing soon! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

antArtiste said...

How nice results!!! I am jelous because here in my place' Lesbos island, Greece, it snows once in 10 years!!!
Dox..

Lesley Turner said...

your Palace of the Soul has become such a powerful work.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

Palace......oh, Yvonne...it is
breath taking. so all of what
you say and much more....

Yvonne said...

Mary Helen - thanks - it is exciting to see the results.

antArtiste - hello to you in Greece - snow is special here, too, but we usually get it once a year for sure.

Lesley - it feels very personal and reflective of me - thank you.

Grace - when I put it up on the wall in my new work space, it really has a presence. Nice to hear your comment.