Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Automatic Can be Artful

Here is some stitch exploration I've been doing as part of the Mark Making With Machine class. It's a mix of an automatic stitch and free motion. I want to fill it in further but my thread kept breaking so I thought I would take a break too :). I've also been sampling a few automatic stitches and feel delighted to explore them through content, placement, colour, size and composition. I made some shapes and lines and a story began to unfold and ideas were igniting and then I was in that feverish state of creative excitement you may recognize. And then I found that the conversation on Boro in the online class had begun and I felt moved by all there is to learn and the sheer beauty of the world of fibre and stitch. Bliss....
I also tried out my free motion couching foot with limited success, but I will experiment further with different yarns.

2 comments:

arlee said...

there's something about a well chosen automatic stitch that *can* and *does* complement the hand and the frayed edge--beautifully done here!

Yvonne said...

Thanks, Arlee! Yes - there's room for all possibilities, I think. What matters is mindful consideration of them and listening to that.