Monday, September 6, 2010

Wherever I go, There Stitch Is

On a recent road trip through parts of BC and Alberta, I did very little stitching, deciding early on that there was too much else to take in and not wanting to miss anything. Of course, I continued finding stitch everywhere - whether tapestried chair cusheons, in quilt shops or where have you. Isn't this a lovely embroidered pillow that graced one of the beds I slept in? Not made by my hostess, though, but found at an antique shop. And here is a heritage linen on display in one of Calgary's old homes:
This thead is actual gold and was part of a liturgical exhibit in a historic church in the town of Yale, BC.


Here is some of the stitching I have been doing - this piece is nearly complete and I will post the whole of it soon.

I also went to the Victoria College of Art's open house to see a textile art exhibition called 'Narrative Articulations', which was interesting and pleasurable. While there, I signed myself up for a course on mark making with stitch taught by Lesley Turner. It's set to begin in a few months time, and I'm glad because I have alot of pieces I want to work further on, as well as past course material to digest.

4 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

hey Yvonne! glad you are back!

Yvonne said...

Thanks for the welcome, Grace!

jude said...

hi. sounds great.

Yvonne said...

Hi Jude! Yes, the trip was an adventure and revisiting of old ground and now I have alot of ground left to cover from your courses!