Saturday, November 27, 2010

Knotty and Nice

Yesterday I laid out the leaves, feathers, pinecones and other things I found on my walk onto a rectangular linen piece with a handstitched edge - a garage sale find from awhile back. I am thinking about the tradition of stitch and the women who passed their handmade treasures to their daughters and granddaughters. Since it is a feminine art, it seems appropriate that offerings from mother earth join with this cloth to continue their life and the cloth's in a new form. It is snowy white like the snow I walked through. And here the stitching has begun - you could miss noticing if you only saw what you expected to...
And this morning on the beach, I again saw a mirror of what I had stitched - seaweed thread through sandcloth to secure down a log.

Ever since I saw this chartreuse silk in the class scrap box, it was flirting with me so I added felted wool, silk gauze and french knots to make a Christmas card.


Quite a bit more stitching ahead this weekend...



4 comments:

Lesley Turner said...

Yvonne, i am enjoying very much your musing as you explore hand stitch. Your blog is like an extension of your workbook.

deanna7trees said...

dimensional cross-stitching...love it and a beautiful card.

arlee said...

Serendipity with the log

Yvonne said...

Hi Lesley - thanks for your comment - yes there's an overlap, although the blog is a snippet and is a way to connect with others of like mind, too. I have another more comprehensive book on the go that includes dream work, journalling, inspirational quotes and photos, etc, as well as details of what I am working on. I used to have seperate books for different types of recording, but find everything in one helps me to see the connections better - although it can be a real job to find things!

Deanna - thanks! We will be getting into more 3D this week in Lesley's class.

Arlee -yes, that was something to have it the same shape and sticking up in the air like it was determined to get my attention. I am amazed at how the same beach changes from day to day.