Friday, July 10, 2009

Slow Stitch and Group Pitch

I've been continuing to stitch with embroidery floss onto this quilt, enjoying doing a little everyday, the unpredictability of pattern created by intuitive choices and the fun of not having a destination. I've also come up with a group exercise to offer my art quilt group next week, and I'm excited to see how it goes! Each participant will contribute some phrase of personally useful wisdom based on their experience as an artist - like 'Trust the process' - which we will discuss and then use as part of individual collages using the design principles and elements to express them, as well as fabrics, papers, stitch and embellishments. Once the collages are done, we will combine them temporarily onto black poster board in a grid, so that the black will provide sashing and border in a photograph of our 'collective wisdom quilt'.

2 comments:

Pam de Groot said...

I like the patterning. It's like an egg shell or cracked mud.

Yvonne said...

Thanks, Pam - it does feel organic and I think of leaves, earth and the markings in rock - but mostly I'm thinking about each stitch as a choice and how, at first we can't see the patterns that the choices we make in life are creating, until later, when we can get a view of the whole.