Thursday, June 4, 2009

Resurrection


Here is a quilt I began in my first quilt making class, with Pamela Allen last October. We were given 15 minutes to create a fabric background on batting and when I had mine covered, it was immediately apparent that the pink fabric looked like hair. That was my jumping off point to create this woman, and she has morphed over and over since, with additions and subtractions of fabrics as I've worked to get the values better and added more detail, paying attention to the design elements. The photo in greyscale shows up pretty well, I think - except the mouth, nose and front shirt strip where I plan to sew buttons later. Recently, I had a dream where this quilt was folded and about to be shown to a group and I feel eager pleasure to have it seen but also an urgency to let everyone know that it's not yet completed. In the dream I rise to my feet to speak and that's when I woke up. I like to work with my dreams and I'm not going to go into that here, but I've decided that I will complete this quilt to honour the dream.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yvonne
Nice to see this piece again.
I find it fascinating how helpful the greyscale photo is.
I really must buy a digital camera!

Yvonne said...

Good idea - a digital camera is such a useful tool - also for trying out various changes of fabrics as you design - you can flip back and forth between possible choices much more quickly to see the overall effect on the camera screen.