Saturday, September 17, 2011

Random Order

Stitches are continuing to meander over my blue feather piece, with lots more to come. I am stitching from the backside, using parts of a wave design printed on a panel of fabric beneath this monoprint and it's a surprise when I turn it over to see what I've got on the front. So far, it seems to be working alright with the design. I like the metaphor of stitches rising from beneath the sea like unconscious material becoming visable and offering surprises - maybe recognizable patterns - and all a part of the overall design. And I experimented with shibori on wool:

And on silk satin to see if I could replicate the symbol I'm working with. One potentially very useful idea I had was to use styrofoam meat trays to cut identical heart shapes to use as a resist to the dye. This is a very small piece of thin fabric, so I would have to try a much larger piece with styrofoam shapes to see if they would be firm enough to resist the dye without breaking. But I really prefer cutting my own shapes and not using pre-existing ones because it completely opens up the possibilities for variety.


Here is one other piece I dyed:


I'll do another post to show what else I've been working on this past week.


2 comments:

deanna7trees said...

oooh...so many interesting designs. i love the patterns in your latest post. top part looks somewhat like the cathedral window pattern. beautiful.

Yvonne said...

Yes - it is like the cathedral window pattern, isn't it? I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!