Monday, February 15, 2010

Natural Dye Experiment







The results from these Garry Oak leaves steamed on silk are very mild indeed - slight colouring with no sharp outlines. There are a lot of variables at play with natural dyeing and I'm a complete beginner, so I have much to learn. But I like the idea of the spirit of a local tree infused into the cloth, so I will experiment further another time to see if I can get a more visable design. I have a next sample in the steamer using onion skins...



2 comments:

Sweetpea said...

Great experiment, Yvonne - bravo to you on this attempt. I think the faint imprint is quite lovely, but I bet the onion skins will have a lot of punch...I look forward to seeing your results! I'm hoping to try some natural dyeing myself this summer and am really looking forward to exploring that world.

Yvonne said...

Thanks, and you're right about the onion skins having more punch. I will be interested to see your results, too - there's endless possibilities to experiment with!